Rainforest Automation Eagle ZigBee Smart Meter HAN Gateway Plugin

So it does look like there are some differences as mine is:

HW 3.2.3
FW 2.0.20
ZB 1.4

I will try the same on mine within a couple of days or so to see if I can reproduce this. If I cant then I guess its likely that its some sort of issue you’ll need to raise to RainForest against your versions.

I think having it log to Bidgely or somewhere else (cant remember what the other choice is) will give you better idea to pinpoint if its a Vera or RainForest issue.

I didn’t respond the last couple of days because it seemed to be working pretty well, but then I noticed something odd in the Datamine logs. The watts appeared to have stop recording even though the total kWh is still working properly. Not sure if this would be an eagle device issue or Datamine issue (I’m actually guessing the latter, as I can see the watts changing in the device tab).

Thank you for this plugin. I just received my Eagle and it’s paired up with the utility company and the Vera.

It would be great if more useful information could be added from this plugin to automationHD. Currently, it appears that automationHD just shows a question mark on the tile and doesn’t show any wattage information or anything else on the tile, and it just dumps all of the data from the plugin when clicked (which is much better than nothing, but not perfect).

Just wondering if this plug-in has been tested on UI7? I am not in ANY hurry to upgrade, but checking on some of the plug-ins I use that haven’t been discussed on the UI7 threads…

robertmm, thank you for the information about Oncor. I had the 1000X usage and was able to get it corrected with your help.

I am having trouble trying to follow the steps in the installation process. I can upload the files and create the device. However after the device is created, I get stuck. When you say “reload” do you mean refresh/reload the webpage? I don’t see a reload button (using UI7). I tried searching for the plugin under “Install Apps” and didn’t find anything.

I am pretty sure it must be my mistake, I just don’t know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to thank you for this.

I got the Rainforest Eagle recently after reading this thread and I’m delighted to say I now can see my live data through my veralite!

Thanks!

Thank you for the app. ;D

Merry xmas [thanks mom]to me -the new owner of an Eagle tied into my Texas SmartMeter and displayed via Vera Edge.
3 questions around display and practical use:

1. Thus far, it ONLY displays in the Vera app [mobile and PC] + Rainforest’s Cloud app; no go on Imperihome Pro nor the no longer maintained Authomation HD app. Likely requires further prog’g. If so, perhaps I’ll see if I can link a window in Imperihome Pro to the RainForest Eagle URL which I think it can do.
  2. Edge display [under UI7] is different than what’s in this thread -perhaps due to UI7 OR did I do something incorrectly? How might I [LUUP newbie here] tweak Luup code eliminating the decimal portion of the displayed numbers? Do fields only display what is in their variable field or can a field be formatted to exclude display of decimals? Or would it be difficult to add a tick box to include or exclude display for the “to grid” and “net” amounts that frequently go unused. Please don’t take this as critiquing. It’s great having this display in my Edge; I’m simply not familiar with the intricacies of LUUP programming yet. And I may wind up needing the decimal number portion, depending on answers to my next question.
  3. Simple to use graphing/tracking of the above information. Was hoping to have Bidgely, but their response to my email said to contact my energy provider as they no longer work with end users. Inquiries about which energy providers in de-regulated Texas market they worked with was met with a refusal to divulge client information -probably means none. I see there is data-mine, data yours, and event watcher, but I am not sure what’s stable in UI7 and easy to work with for a novice. Would like to track and graph energy use so i can see a picture of my consumption.

THANK YOU.

[1] I use this in Homewave and it displays the necessary values (one which you select) from the HEM.
[2a] Yes, UI differences between 5 and 7.
[2b] Why do you want to remove the precision ? Just curious. If it’s for display then see answer [1] as you can select what’s displayed.
[3a] Lua’s math.ceil(x) or math.floor(x) will adjust the value up or down where x is the variable your operating against.
[3b] I’m surprised that Bidgely has taken this position. I have an account but rarely use it. If you’re interested in plotting usage then you have other options.

[ol][li]Look into using AltUI plugin and it’s integration with ThingSpeak for plotting state changes.[/li]
[li]As you indicated, DataYours, DataMine and Eventwatcher will also inch you closer to your needs.[/li][/ol]

Hope this helps

[quote=“BigE-TX, post:48, topic:175309”]Thank you for the app. ;D

Merry xmas [thanks mom]to me -the new owner of an Eagle tied into my Texas SmartMeter and displayed via Vera Edge.
3 questions around display and practical use:

1. Thus far, it ONLY displays in the Vera app [mobile and PC] + Rainforest’s Cloud app; no go on Imperihome Pro nor the no longer maintained Authomation HD app. Likely requires further prog’g. If so, perhaps I’ll see if I can link a window in Imperihome Pro to the RainForest Eagle URL which I think it can do.
  2. Edge display [under UI7] is different than what’s in this thread -perhaps due to UI7 OR did I do something incorrectly? How might I [LUUP newbie here] tweak Luup code eliminating the decimal portion of the displayed numbers? Do fields only display what is in their variable field or can a field be formatted to exclude display of decimals? Or would it be difficult to add a tick box to include or exclude display for the “to grid” and “net” amounts that frequently go unused. Please don’t take this as critiquing. It’s great having this display in my Edge; I’m simply not familiar with the intricacies of LUUP programming yet. And I may wind up needing the decimal number portion, depending on answers to my next question.
  3. Simple to use graphing/tracking of the above information. Was hoping to have Bidgely, but their response to my email said to contact my energy provider as they no longer work with end users. Inquiries about which energy providers in de-regulated Texas market they worked with was met with a refusal to divulge client information -probably means none. I see there is data-mine, data yours, and event watcher, but I am not sure what’s stable in UI7 and easy to work with for a novice. Would like to track and graph energy use so i can see a picture of my consumption.

THANK YOU.[/quote]

Strange about Bidgley. Maybe a future Eagle firmware update can support new cloud providers…

Chuckling to myself…
This what I get for abandoning Apple after we grew out of our Apple2+ with floppy drives and I moved to TRS80s and became a DOS convert :wink: and eventually Windows on home built PCs. I simply haven’t had the ambition or the money to pony up for anything Apple other than Apple TV2 to use with XBMC - which is no longer updateable either. No doubt the two apple IOS apps [Homewave and Automator] interface fine with the Eagle Luup code. I’ll play with this a bit to see what I come up with and appreciate everyone’s quick reply…truly.

Was hoping someone with Android devices had worked through a similar experience and might respond so I’m not re-inventing the wheel. I understand Garrett moved to a more opensource platform and I wouldn’t want him to invest anymore time in updating his app at this point. I will try the folks at Imperihome if I cannot get it to access via a URL somehow.

I was thinking about AltUI, but it simply wouldn’t fit on my choking Veralite, the edge seems to be much more stable since upgrading [more available resources…ie memory no doubt]. I will readup on ALtUI.

Again, thanks all. Garrett thank you for your prior work on on your app. I enjoyed using it while I was growing with my new VeraLite.

You know on AutHomation you can get the KWH reading by holding the “?” tile and pressing the information button, but obviously that isn’t clean at all. But it will let you see the reading if you really need it…

I have downloaded Imperihome, but haven’t tried to add in the KWH yet…

RainForest has updated Eagle firmware several times. The new unit I received from them this week req’d 4 incremental firmware downloads to get to the latest version - one so new their website didn’t even list what it addressed. The Eagle allows for 3 default cloud services in addition to their own, plus you incorporate any that you know of by entering their URL.

Bidgely seems to be the only one in the US using backend software to do disaggregation and reporting on the cloud data they get. I did invest some money in a Indiegogo project overseas where they are working on something similar and hope to see what comes about, but it lacks the simplicity of connection that the Eagle unit possesses which may be a dealkiller. I am considering Bluedot.com to see what they can provide for rates before my electric provider comes up for re-evaluation in May 2016. Have yet to find a single review of them other than a DFW,TX news piece on youtube.

Good point, I remember seeing at least 1 other option if not 2 the last time I looked at the Eagle web config.

[quote=“wilme2, post:52, topic:175309”]You know on AutHomation you can get the KWH reading by holding the “?” tile and pressing the information button, but obviously that isn’t clean at all. But it will let you see the reading if you really need it…

I have downloaded Imperihome, but haven’t tried to add in the KWH yet…[/quote]

Thanks. I didn’t know that about the question mark.

Good info, didn’t realize it now did that…

[quote=“CudaNet, post:54, topic:175309”]Good point, I remember seeing at least 1 other option if not 2 the last time I looked at the Eagle web config.

Bidgely also didn’t provide any support for me during the summer of 2015. I ended up contacting Rainforest support and they were able to push the Bidgely configuration to my device. Edit: I already had a Bidgely account linked to my energy provider (I’m not sure if they’re creating new accounts for individuals).

Love this Plugin. Many thanks to the coder. For all those Imperihome and AutHomation users. Install the Power Arithmetic plugin from the vera app store. Power Arithmetic will take the power reading from the Smart Meter HAN Gateway Plugin device and Power Arithmetic is identified by both Imperihome and AutHomation as a power meter.

[quote=“fcol, post:57, topic:175309”][quote=“CudaNet, post:54, topic:175309”]Good point, I remember seeing at least 1 other option if not 2 the last time I looked at the Eagle web config.

Bidgely also didn’t provide any support for me during the summer of 2015. I ended up contacting Rainforest support and they were able to push the Bidgely configuration to my device. Edit: I already had a Bidgely account linked to my energy provider (I’m not sure if they’re creating new accounts for individuals).[/quote]

I believe they stopped taking on new residential customers around the time they got a decent round of funding from several utility investors. I think that the free consumer offer was a proof of concept that they could show to utilities and whatnot, because that’s where the money in this is.

I just tried installing the plug in (thanks for creating this!) and I am getting the “ERROR: Device not ready”. The device has been created and I can see it but it shows all 0’s at the moment. Any suggestions of where to start to resolve?