Subject: UI7 - Vera Firmware Update - Version 7.0.31 hot fix (1.7.4969/1.7.4970/1.7.4971) - March 2nd, 2020

@Sorin ell im running into the 4th day waiting for support… no emails no contact or anything… I would really like this resolved (even it if means reverting bac to 7.0.29 as currently apps (2 android devices) are unable to access vera so they are useless… and thats the main use of vera.

@Sorin : Lot of my scenes are working with 2 fibaro motion sensors (also used for temperature and luminosity) but as they’re stuck in “waiting to wake up to configure”, lot of my scenes aren’t working because of missing temperature or luminosity informations. I want to downgrade !!!

@ledavidou: Unfortunately downgrading is likely not going to help at all and may even get things worse.
The problem is not the new firmware itself it is the reboot/luup reload associated with it causing some of your data to either have gotten corrupted or lost. It is a nasty feature of the vera which then causes it to want to reconfigure or even delete the rest of the configuration data and asking you to reconfigure. Worse yet it could be that the devices are now officially supported therefore officially breaking them… sorry for the sarcasm but it is the actual result.
The first recommendation I would have would be to try to recover from a known good backup.
The second is, prior to upgrades always disable auto configuration of devices.
See a success report and the follow on discussion here.

PS: Also of note a downgrade to anything below 7.30 at this stage cannot be complete because the operating system kernel does not get downgraded in the process leaving you with a hybrid setup with potentially new and unknown problems.

I was getting this yesterday as well, after rebooting (but not updating) my veraplus; with the firmware update page interceding whatever page a visited. Eventually it stopped after I reloaded the veraplus page altogether, starting from the root page / and going through the redirect to /cmh.

Seriously, why is this stupid firmware redirect still a thing? Just raise an alert message when a new version is available. Besides the irritation to us as end-users, I can’t imagine how much work vera have created for themselves forcing people to unwisely update working systems to new (and possibly broken) versions.

Thanks for your help Rafale77.
I did a restore but… no real effect : those 2 fibaro devices are “on” again, but temperature and luminosity aren’t back… Shit !!!

You will need to reconfigure the device unfortunately.
It isn’t on the manual but this autoconfiguration is really a plague on the vera.
The mechanism is that if you had it setup before and that the new firmware suddenly added official support for this particular device, and you have auto configuration turned on, it will deem the device as unconfigured and will want to reconfigure it from scratch during the luup engine loading, wiping out your data in the process. While the intention is good, the real life application is stupid. It assumes itself to be smarter than the user which is arrogant of the devs and annoying. It is treating the user data as if they could manipulate it at will without user inputs. The result is that it breaks things which were working perfectly fine, attempting and failing to do things the users have done successfully (configuring the device). This is over automation of the configuration and something I have requested them to stop without much success. It goes in the same bucket as the auto deletion of device and scenes, the spamming prompts for firmware upgrades and the virus like insertion of unwanted plugins, making the whole platform less stable and less user friendly.
The workaround is to disable all auto configuration flags on your devices once you have them configured.

I understand your explanations but the auto configuration is already disabled (I follow your recommendations, tips and tricks for a long time).
And this doesn’t explain why a very simple scene (at the moment, only one scene) refuse to execute even if I delete and re-create it…

Well this is weird indeed but I don’t think there was any change in the scene area of this firmware. What messages are you getting back when you try to execute it? By any chance, is it a timer based scene?

When I manually execute the scene, it does.
This scene should execute every day (except two days) at a certain time.

I could exclude and include my missing devices again (lot of work for that as I would have to rewrite scenes they are used in), but if the result is the same as deleting and re-creating a scene without success…

Ok. So it is because you likely ran the disabling of luup reload on time jump code. This disables the timer based scenes. Enable it again and these scenes will start running.
To do that rerun the code like this:
luup.attr_set("ReloadOnTimeJumps",1,0)
and reload luup

Done. I’ll see tomorrow morning if the scene run.
But wait… I just looked into luup files and… wow, what are all those files I never download or install ? It seems that all luup files have been downloaded ???

Not sure which files you are referring to. A very large number of luup files are native to the firmware and are supporting your devices. Some are from plugins. This firmware added a bunch of “virus” plugins which are hard to get rid of. Even if you delete them from the plugin page, the files will still be on your vera until you manually delete them.

If i give you access to my computer (team viewer), could you have a look ?
I have to go to work now. So let’s talk of that later.

To be fair, you can finally blacklist them. Just ho to app, uninstall and you should be good.

True except for one which I had to use ALTUI to uninstall. Point being that I feel like I am (was) constantly chasing fixes and as we were getting some, some other new unrelated junk kept coming in. We had some stability problems and improvement came with 7.0.29 but they added forced plugin installations, 2 versions later we have blacklist, (instead of reverting the nonsensical behavior) now at the same time they blocked extroot. I found a workaround and… who knows what they’ll do next. I am just so happy to be done with with this time pit.

A screenshot of what you see will do or even a copy paste of the files you have concerns about. A bit overkill to use team viewer for this.

@ledavidou @ibrewster @Prle

I gave support a heads up to look up your cases.

Tthank you @Sorin !! Greatly appreciated… .Eagerly waiting to get this resolved

If you guys are using different email addresses on the forum, other than the tickets you’ve logged, please let me known in private the ticket numbers, otherwise we’re gonna find them.

Just got a response from customer support. Thanks @Sorin! Of course, I now understand why people complain about the customer service. They had the gall to state this:

It is expected for some devices to turn unresponsive or some minor issues to appear after a firmware upgrade

as well as implying that doing a restore from backup should be a standard operating procedure. Wow. Just…wow. In my world, firmware upgrades are “expected to fix minor issues and improve responsiveness of some devices” (not the opposite), and restores from backups are for disaster scenarios, not standard upgrades. Oh well, I’m sure we’ll get this resolved - off to do a restore of my unit!

1 Like

The Customer Care team are there to help by any means they have, giving this specific scenario. But the possible firmware issues are a different matter and it’s not on their plate. The product team is aware of this matter and I hope lessons are learned.