TED5000 Plugin

Awesome! Success! Well done @woodsby!

See pic attached showing my Net kWh usage in Vera from TED… 2 MTUs, 1 set to Adjusted Load the other set to Generation from the solar array.

Great turnaround and a welcome addition to my rig.

.//A.

[quote=“anthonyris, post:20, topic:167381”]OK, v12 is installed. Sadly, the few final dying rays of the sun just faded this evening as I was uploading, so we’ll have to wait until tomorrow to test your Negative# fix…

Best,
.//A.[/quote]

@anthonyris Congrats on getting this working! Do you have a way to validate the number presented against the source systems?

Scotch is good, Guinness is a good backup :wink:

But seriously, was fun going back to first-principals, using 2’s Complement math etc, etc. 8)

guessed: I have a number of “known wattage” devices I control remotely from vera, as well as the TED 5000’s real-time stats which show actuals from MTU1/2 and their Net.

For example, turning on my 300w chandelier, shows a load addition of 300w (+/- ~5%) in TED, as well as in woodsby’s Vera plugin. really, really nice…

Now if only we could get SquareConnect to display free text in their control panel, I can do away with logging into the Vera interface altogether…
.//A.

[quote author=guessed link=topic=5371.msg30971#msg30971 date=1295629227]
@anthonyris Congrats on getting this working! Do you have a way to validate the number presented against the source systems?

The SquareConnect lads are looking at the power monitoring stuff also:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5414.msg30949#msg30949

They’ll be able to display Watts, as @woodsby’s using the standard interface that’s already defined for that. Unfortunately Volts doesn’t have an equivalent standard interface, so it won’t be displayed, but it probably less important to look at.

This is a snippet from the information I gave them just before New yrs to get this value…

These are the ones you need to display: "service": "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "variable": "Watts", "value": "3000"

A TED5000 just rose to the top of my list of must have toys!

Thank you for contributing this!

Hi-

I have used TED 5000 in two residences for more than a year. I agree with the most of the comments made on this thread. To ensure accuracy TED can be calibrated. Initially the readings were off about 5%. After some MTU adjustments through the software I have reading that are accurate to 0.5% a month. I have been very satisfied with the two TED 5000 that were installed. Installation was straightforward (but it requires some expertise with the power panel hookups).

Thanks for the plugin…

Just noticed a bug running multiple copies of the TED5000 plugin. If you don’t have a manually entered IP address on more than one instance of the plugin, it runs into an issue with trying to open the UDP socket multiple times. That being said, I’m hoping the official beta release will support the attr_set luup function, and each instance will only run the discover process one time - upon installation.

New Version 13 - **** UI4 1183 AND UP ONLY ***

On versions 1183 and later, autodiscovery only runs once, and permanently stores the IP address (including port number) and mac address. This is helpful for multiple instances of the plugin and to speed up the startup process after the first install.

Edit: I didn’t get time to completely uninstall and install the new version like I usually do when testing - my laptop was dying. I will test fully this weekend, but after initial tests this seems to work fine. Post back if you have any issues.

I’m new to all that, and very impressed by what can be done with Vera and TED devices.

I just bought the TED 5000, and I’m planning to buy the Vera 2

Is TED a Z-Wave device ? In fact, how does Vera 2 communicate with TED 5000 ?

Thanks

Gast

Vera will poll the TED5000 via the ipaddress from the TED Gateway unit. Actually the TED5000 plugin will tell vera to poll the TED Gateway. The Gateway is what plugs into an outlet and then you plug a network cable into it to allow access via web and have it send data to Google. The TED unit actually supports Zigbee.

• Garrett

Thanks Garrett. That part is clear now.

Is it possible, in a few words, to tell me the differences between Zigbee and Xwave ?

Thanks again,

Gaston

This might help:

http://mobiledevdesign.com/hardware_news/zwave_vs_zigbee/

• Garrett

Interesting.

One is a proprietary “standard” (Z-wave), and the other is IEEE standard (ZigBee).

One is seen as more robust (ZigBee), ready for more than domotic.

Without being threat by fans of one technology or the other, could you tell me what you think about these two ways of doing the same thing ?

Thanks,

Gast

I do not know much on zigbee, however I have come across sources online saying zigbee is harder to implement. I can be wrong and hope others can chime in.

• Garrett

Interesting this thread should get brought back to life, I saw this on my rss feeds today. [url=http://hackaday.com/2011/02/06/the-energy-detective-ted-5000-g-teardown/]http://hackaday.com/2011/02/06/the-energy-detective-ted-5000-g-teardown/[/url]

Ahhh good old hackaday (love the site). Thanks for the article, ill have to save it for reading later. I do plan on picking up a TED5000 and use woodsby’s plugin. I do appreciate all the work everyone puts into these plugins. They really make vera even better.

• Garrett

I think I’m finally almost done messing around with my main service panel - until I add another sub-panel in a few months. I’ve attached pictures of my setup…
I have a 200A MCB panel with a back-fed 30A generator breaker in breaker spaces 2 & 4. The plate you see on the panel’s dead-front is an interlock kit (made by SQ-D) to allow legal back-feeding of the panel - either the generator breaker or main breaker can be closed at any time, but never both. The gen backfeed breaker goes out back to a generator inlet mounted on the back of the house for a portable generator connection.
Inside the panel, my MTU’s are mounted down low with CT’s on the Main feeders and the Generator feeders at the top of the panel. The MTU’s are fed off the 15A breaker feeding the surge suppressor mounted to the right of the panel above the TED gateway. The outlet mounted to the side of the panel feeding the gateway is fed off of one leg of the same 2P circuit.
Anyway, all boring electrical stuff, but figured I’d share.

Upgrade completed with no issues. Thanks woodsby.

[quote=“woodsby, post:28, topic:167381”]New Version 13 - **** UI4 1183 AND UP ONLY ***

On versions 1183 and later, autodiscovery only runs once, and permanently stores the IP address (including port number) and mac address. This is helpful for multiple instances of the plugin and to speed up the startup process after the first install.

Edit: I didn’t get time to completely uninstall and install the new version like I usually do when testing - my laptop was dying. I will test fully this weekend, but after initial tests this seems to work fine. Post back if you have any issues.[/quote]

Also, TED just released a firmware upgrade for the gateway and footprints software:

Gateway R406 and Footprints R223
http://server17.hosting24.com/~sherlock/techforum/index.php/topic,39.15.html

I upgraded, and have been banging around on it. No issues with your plug-in so far.

.//A.

Thanks for this, it works great. I did however have a hard time getting it to recognize my mtu. I thought it was my port number, but soon realized it was my username and password. I fixed it by removing the security for general access.