TED5000 Plugin

I never noticed the TED5K plugin in the market place… then again I am great for not seeing the obvious ::slight_smile: Tried to check this morning but for some reason I can’t see page 2 or 3 of the mios marketplace on either vera that I have access to.

So with the TED, I can access it natively via ethernet as well as have vera poll can gather info? I do like the web interface on the 5000. Does the plugin work with any of the 5000 series. Low end 5000 is not bad, but as you go up in options they get quite spendy. Does the plugin support any of the 5000 series?

Les

What do you call “series” ? There is just one TED5000. There is no low or high end version.
Maybe the confusion comes from the option of buying more that one Measuring Transmitting Units (MTU) ?

Gast

You are correct… my bad… upon closer look they all have the same gateway. When I first
looked at the page I saw 5000-G, 5000-C, 5002-G etc… turns out its the same Gateway with
different addons… number of mtu’s and accessories…

…not very well done, that way of presenting TED5000. Quite confusing! We all loose time trying to understand.

[quote=“Les F, post:43, topic:167381”]You are correct… my bad… upon closer look they all have the same gateway. When I first
looked at the page I saw 5000-G, 5000-C, 5002-G etc… turns out its the same Gateway with
different addons… number of mtu’s and accessories…[/quote]
-G for kit without display unit
-C for kit with display unit
5000 = 1 MTU/CT set + gateway
5002 = 2 MTU/CT sets + gateway
5003 = 3 MTU/CT sets + gateway
5004 = 4 MTU/CT sets + gateway
MTU/CT sets also available separately (and gateway, MTU and CTs as well).

I have been using TED 5000 for about a month and just setup my Vera 2 last night and got this plugin working. First I wanted to thank Woodsby for developing it. One feature I really like with the Footprints interface that comes with the TED is being able to see how much power I have used that day. Is there an easy way to add this data to the plug-in?

Thanks in advance.

I had plans of adding some more functionality to include kwh consumption - especially since SQRemote now supports kw and kwh variables. I hadn’t decided if I wanted to use kwh today or this month. I can add both if I go with child devices, but my initial thoughts were to keep this low overhead. Of course, I have been slammed with work - I thought I was going to be busy when they asked me to build a hospital in a year, and now I’m building two hospitals in a year - so I don’t know when I’ll get back to this project. And before I do get back to it, I’ve been promising myself to get back to the etherrain++ plugin, and now we’re into spring, and I haven’t gotten back to that yet.

Glad to hear it’s on the drawing board. I love the idea of having one interface (SQRemote) to control everything in my house from AV to monitoring my power usage. Id be happy to make a donation if that would help with development :wink:

Hi Woodsby–

Thanks for the plug-in for TED 5000. If you ever find time to make enhancements, would it be possible to include the net mtu values. This would add the values from the various MTUs and be reported as a single value? It’s currently available on the TED 5000 web page. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide?

Don

Hi all.

I’ve made some modifications to this great plug-in.

I’m adding things like being able to pull out individual MTU values, or the total values (each being a separate device). Additionally, I’ve added the ability to display total consumption during the day, which I find extra useful.

Finally, I almost have working the adding of child devices as well that will show other statistics such as cost estimate/total consumption for the month, minimum wattage for the day (to find vampire loads), etc.

Does anyone know the original license that this plug-in was released under? I’d like to share these changes with the community.

Hi Folks,

It looks like most of you have had success with the TED5000 unit. I’m thinking about buying one but I have one question I hope you can help me with: The only reason I really want an energy monitor is so I can monitor my Kw load to the whole house and if it goes over a certain Kw draw whilst on my peak rate I need to be able to get that information so I can shut things down (thermostats etc.). Is this something that the TED5000 and the Vera plugin would enable me to do?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

You can use the following as events (i.e. scene triggers):

• Energy goes above/below
  • Voltage goes above/below

To get all the conditions right that you are interested in, you’ll have to code it; but the basic event trigger is there.

It can be a little tricky to get the gateway to pick up the data from the MTU(s) through the power lines. It just requires some experimenting, perhaps filtering etc. Depends entirely on your situation.

@MarkC
You can build a scene referring to the device corresponding to TED5000, define an event based on energy going above what you specify, and then define commands to take actions on the thermostats.

Also, as a side note, TED5000 works also with Google PowerMeter.
Have a look: http://www.google.com/powermeter/about/

[quote=“tulit, post:50, topic:167381”]I’ve made some modifications to this great plug-in.
[…]
Does anyone know the original license that this plug-in was released under? I’d like to share these changes with the community.[/quote]
That sounds great! Have a chat with @woodsby?

@JOD and @wseverino what is wrong with the Aeon HEM (unfortunately I live in a 240V AC country so the TED isn’t available) so was thinking of the HEM … but if I’m wasting my time (not that I’m sure that I’ll be waiting for the 240V TED as I see they have pushed their ETA out by almost another year :slight_smile:

I know it doesn’t help, but I think that the problem is more on the the frequency than on the voltage : 50Hz instead of 60Hz, because TED5000 is working well with 220V ?

The HEM would be a good option for you if it worked, it’s both battery or USB powered, but it’s not producing accurate readings. As an example, 11kW usage (with TED) might display as 4678345 watts with the HEM.

JOD.

…and the Gateway runs on 110-120V :-[

You should post your changes so we can have a look at them.
.//A.

[quote=“tulit, post:50, topic:167381”]Hi all.

I’ve made some modifications to this great plug-in.

I’m adding things like being able to pull out individual MTU values, or the total values (each being a separate device). Additionally, I’ve added the ability to display total consumption during the day, which I find extra useful.

Finally, I almost have working the adding of child devices as well that will show other statistics such as cost estimate/total consumption for the month, minimum wattage for the day (to find vampire loads), etc.

Does anyone know the original license that this plug-in was released under? I’d like to share these changes with the community.[/quote]

I just installed a TED 5000 yesterday. Installation was simple and integration with google power meter and vera using this plug in was straightforward. The only things I did differently vs the instructions were:

1. in the panel I did not have any unused breakers, but I did have several open spots on the panel. I went to Lowe’s and got 2 15A breakers and attached the miu(?) to these new breakers and just snapped them in, and connected the neutral. This took all of about 5 minutes and reduced the amount of time the house was without power.
  2. changed the IP address to a fixed IP address. I was playing around with connecting the gateway directly to the router vs to a switch that was closer, and it picked it up no problem from the switch but changed the IP when it was on dynamic. Also when I configured google power meter it changed the dynamic ip address, so I just configured a fixed IP address and everything works.

Hopefully it is robust and will work longer term. The range of the portable meter is disappointing only about 20 feet and it won’t pick it up downstairs so it is not very useful. The web interface from my droid works fine though.

Thanks for the great plug-in. I would be interested to see the other features from tulit also!