Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor

I have some of mine go for 9 months on the original batteries but they seem to vary a lot. I have one outdoor in the cold over the winter. After burning out the original alkalines I am switching them to eneloops NiMH rechargeable which give completely inaccurate battery readings of course but still works. Will see how long these last.

I set mine to Mode 1 (no LED indications). Note that I found I had to be close to the controller to do this and had to press the reset (bottom pinhole button) on my Monoprice branded 4-in-1 PIR to get the settings to take. The image below is what it should look like if successfully programmed.

Bumping this thread because I got two of these (well, the Monoprice version) a few weeks ago and they’re not working right with my Vera Plus on the latest (October 2017) firmware. They pair just fine–even choosing Generic Z-Wave Device (but I have also tried choosing the Vision Device–the only change was the setup instructions). They exchange security keys and then the three child sensors (Temp, Humidity and Light) show up. I give them all names, assign them to a room and wait. Within 10-20 minutes, I see values for all those sensors show up in the UI and it looks like all is well.

Then, a few hours later Vera gives me “Can’t Detect Device” for the motion sensor. It looks like values for temp, humidity and light continue to update periodically, however.

I then go through the exclusion process (successful), reboot Vera for good measure, and re-pair the device, leaving it right next to the Vera for hours, only to get the same result.

I am somewhat ignorant of the realities of battery-powered Z-wave devices like this. Is this because the device doesn’t support polling and Vera is trying to poll it? When I look at the settings screen for the motion device, wakeup interval is 1800 and the polling field is blank (meaning default, but I have no idea what the default for this device is).

Should I set polling to 0? Should I change the wakeup interval? Can anyone who has these sensors working properly tell me what values they are using there? I don’t know if I’m barking up the wrong tree with this or if the sensors are just defective (odd that two would have the exact same problem though).

Thanks for any ideas.

This is common behavior with some devices. UI7 reports the device cannot be detected but otherwise works fine. I have 2 door sensors that behave this way. My motion sensor (the only battery devices) works fine without the warning. May folks have included/excluded, factory reset the device, etc. Does not seem to matter.

Hey bookemdano… I have had the same experience as you during the last week. In my case, the motion tripping never has worked nor has the temp flashed a color to indicate the temp range reading. It will, however, correctly report the tamper function when opening the case. Does your motion actually trip? Also Homewave does not even see the “motion device” as a motion device. The temp, lux and humidity do appear and update correctly. Sure is frustrating.

Same issue, the device will pair, show temp, light, and humidity. I can arm the device, but never get a motion detection. Battery level indication seems to function fine. I have included/excluded several times, all with the same result.

Getting so tired of this thing not working right. Guess I will never get the thing working right. Can’t see returning it as everyone says it does work, how I don’t know. Any willing to share their device params and variables to compare?

Thanks

I finally got mine working!! Long post, but here’s detailed directions on what I did. Hopefully it works for others, too.

Like many others, I’ve had problems trying to configure my Zooz ZSE-40 4-in-1 multisensor with my Vera controller (a VeraSecure, in my case). By the time I’d recognized that it wasn’t detecting motion at all, it was too late to return, and as others seemed to be getting it working somehow, it felt like a waste to throw it away. It’s been a frustrating experience, but after many hours of experimentation and false starts, and trying to put together some of the many fragments of information on various forums, I finally got all 4 sensors working, including the elusive motion. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to posting information on their own efforts. I’ve retried this three times and it seems to consistently work, using two Zooz units which didn’t detect motion before.

Pair Zooz ZSE40 with VeraSecure. The critical part of this step is in tricking the controller into pairing it as a Vision 4-in-1 ZP3111-5, which I’m guessing must have hardware similarities to the Zooz.

Pair ZSE40 with Vera initially:
From the “Devices” main page:
“Add Device” / Sensors / Vision 4-in-1 Motion Sensor (ZP3111-5)

Note how the Vision 4-in-1 Motion Sensor looks rather similar to the Zooz 4-in-1 sensor…
Also, the directions say to press the program switch once with the paperclip to begin the pairing process, but the Zooz switch needs to be pressed TWICE with the paperclip.

The new paired device should initially appear as an Off/On type device, and the Temperature, Light, and Humidity Sensors will appear after a bit.

1. Wake up the sensor by clicking the Z-wave button once (NOTE: anytime you see a red status message that Vera is waiting for device to wakeup, you can do this to wake up the device and allow communication to continue)

In the Vera online (browser) interface:
2) Devices > within 10 seconds, turn the sensor switch ON before the device goes back to sleep
3) Devices > select the sensor > Advanced
4) Go to the Params tab and make the following changes:

• device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1
  • device_file: D_MotionSensor1.xml
  • device_json: D_MotionSensor1.json
    Click Back, then Save Changes.
    Click Back to go to main Device page.

Go to: Settings / Z-Wave Settings / Advanced /
Click on “Reload Engine”
Go back to Device page

Select the Zooz Motion device, and go back into the configuration pages.
Device Options
Add Configuration Settings
“Add configuration settings” / “Save Changes”
“Back”
(This will simply create a Variables option, which we’ll edit next)

“Advanced”
“Variables” tab
Edit the last box “VariablesSet”
Paste this into box (everything inside the quotes, to replace the existing value):
“1,1d,01,2,1d,30,3,1d,10,4,1d,10,5,1d,3,6,1d,4,7,1d,3”

(See more detailed notes on this below. While these aren’t listed on the device literature as needing to be set, I found that my device didn’t seem to start functioning as a motion sensor until after I put in values, so I think that one or more of these may be required for the device to start functioning as a motion sensor)

Save changes
Go back a page.
If you see red notice “Waiting for wakeup to configure device”, then use paperclip to press Z-Wave button once to wakeup device and allow communication with Vera controller.

You should see the following Vera status messages appear at some point:
Setting special configuration
Setting user configuration (this may last a long time)

Go to Settings / Z-Wave Settings / Advanced
Click on “Reload Engine” again for good measure
Go back to Devices

Leave the ZSE-40 immediately next to your Vera controller for a while to allow further configuration. At some point here, if it?s worked, your Zooz will acquire consciousness and begin detecting motion. Mine took maybe 10 minutes or so, and began to indicate motion sensor activity (as noted by the little “swimmer” icon on the device logo turning red to indicate motion detection, even when it’s disarmed). Or for better confirmation, you could go back into the device settings, select “Notifications”, and set it to notify you if armed and detecting motion.

Optional:
Go back into ZSE-40 settings
Select “Settings” / Wakeup interval: change to a value (in seconds) that the device will update temp, humidity, and light parameters (I picked 1800, for half hour updates). The more often it wakes up, the shorter the battery life will likely be.

EXTRA NOTES DEVICE ON CONFIGURATION SETTINGS

The following info is from the Zooz product literature. Each “Parameter” they describe below is set in the device under Advanced / Variables, in the “VariablesSet” box. In the above example (1,1d,01,2,1d,30,3,1d,10,4,1d,10,5,1d,3,6,1d,4,7,1d,3) the first three numbers are used to set Parameter 1 (i.e. Parameter 1, 1 byte dec, value of 01). The next three numbers, starting with “2” set Parameter 2. And so on.

In my own setup, note that I changed Parameter 2 (temperature change) to a value of 3. My theory is that this will result in fewer device wakeups due to temperature changes, and hopefully a longer battery life).

TEMPERATURE SENSOR
Use Parameter 1 (size 1 byte dec) to switch from Celsius (value 0x00) to Fahrenheit (value 0x01) scale.
Use Parameter 2 (size 1 byte dec) to set temperature change to be reported by the sensor. Values from 1 to 50, where 1 stands for 0.1 degree and 50 stands for 5 degrees. Default set to 1 degree (value 10) ? the sensor will report new temperature value to the controller whenever temperature goes 1 degree up or down.

HUMIDITY SENSOR
Reports relative humidity. Use Parameter 3 (size 1 byte dec) to set humidity percentage change to be reported by the sensor. Values from 1 to 50 where 1 stands for 1% and 50 stands for 50%. Default set to 10%

LIGHT SENSOR
Use Parameter 4 (size 1 byte dec) to choose light percent- age change to be reported by the sensor. Values from 5 to 50 where 5 stands for 5% and 50 stands for 50%. Default set to 10%.

MOTION SENSOR
Use Parameter 5 (size 1 byte dec) to set trigger interval the time when motion is reported again after initial trigger. Values from 1 to 255 where 1 stands for 1 minute and 255 stands for 255 minutes. Default set to 3 minutes.
NOTE: Small interval will increase activity and affect battery life.
Use Parameter 6 (size 1 byte dec) to adjust PIR sensor sensitivity (value from 1 to 7). 1 = very high sensitivity. 7 = very low sensitivity. Default set to 4.

LED NOTIFICATIONS
Led indicator will ash every 3 minutes or whenever you press the Z-Wave button to indicate temperature level.
How to read led indicator colors?
Green = under 60F / Blue = 60-75F / Yellow = 75-83F / Purple = 83-97F / Red = over 97F / motion detected / tamper switch triggered
Use Parameter 7 (size 1 byte dec) to choose between led indicator modes (value from 1 to 3). Mode 1 = led indicator is turned off (no visual notifications). Mode 2 = temperature indicated with pulsing light. Motion indicated with flashing light. Mode 3 = Temperature and motion indicated with flashing
light. Default set to mode 3.
NOTE: Mode 2 will increase activity and affect battery life.

And on to the next issue with my Zooz motion sensor >:(

Although Vera now correctly detects it as a motion sensor, AND it actually detects motion (it will correctly send me a notification if it’s armed and detects motion), neither of the motion sensors appear in the Preset Modes list for configuring My Modes (i.e. Home, Away, Night, Vacation). So I don’t have any way to automatically arm them when switching to Away, for example.

Anyone else having this issue or have any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks

I’ll answer my own question above, which Support helped me out with.

The above procedure resulting in a Category setting of 11 (generic device) in the motion sensor settings.

Changing the Category to 4 and Subcategory to 3 solved the problem.

This could help as well,

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

This sensor (or maybe the Vera) is a bit of an adventure.
I have a VP and a VE. I have a bunch of monoprice and Zooz versions of this sensor running on my VP.
I was on a business trip and came back to two of my sensors being out of battery. As usual, I go to swap the batteries out, One comes back, the other does not. I am having to remove inclusion and add it back. Well guess what? On the latest firmware on the VP it will get stuck at “exchange secure class keys”.
I tried both the Monoprice and the Zooz and they behave the same way.
I go to try the inclusion on my spare VE on the same firmware and… they both include no problem, just needs a few manual configuration but the secure class is not a problem.
So I have a problem with my VP, not sure if it is because I have a lot of devices or if it is a firmware problem (7.0.25)… Same device included fine a year before… Such a pain.

[quote=“AKflyer, post:47, topic:192570”]I finally got mine working!! Long post, but here’s detailed directions on what I did. Hopefully it works for others, too.

Like many others, I’ve had problems trying to configure my Zooz ZSE-40 4-in-1 multisensor with my Vera controller (a VeraSecure, in my case). By the time I’d recognized that it wasn’t detecting motion at all, it was too late to return, and as others seemed to be getting it working somehow, it felt like a waste to throw it away. It’s been a frustrating experience, but after many hours of experimentation and false starts, and trying to put together some of the many fragments of information on various forums, I finally got all 4 sensors working, including the elusive motion. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to posting information on their own efforts. I’ve retried this three times and it seems to consistently work, using two Zooz units which didn’t detect motion before.

Pair Zooz ZSE40 with VeraSecure. The critical part of this step is in tricking the controller into pairing it as a Vision 4-in-1 ZP3111-5, which I’m guessing must have hardware similarities to the Zooz.

Pair ZSE40 with Vera initially:
From the “Devices” main page:
“Add Device” / Sensors / Vision 4-in-1 Motion Sensor (ZP3111-5)

Note how the Vision 4-in-1 Motion Sensor looks rather similar to the Zooz 4-in-1 sensor…
Also, the directions say to press the program switch once with the paperclip to begin the pairing process, but the Zooz switch needs to be pressed TWICE with the paperclip.

The new paired device should initially appear as an Off/On type device, and the Temperature, Light, and Humidity Sensors will appear after a bit.

1. Wake up the sensor by clicking the Z-wave button once (NOTE: anytime you see a red status message that Vera is waiting for device to wakeup, you can do this to wake up the device and allow communication to continue)

In the Vera online (browser) interface:
2) Devices > within 10 seconds, turn the sensor switch ON before the device goes back to sleep
3) Devices > select the sensor > Advanced
4) Go to the Params tab and make the following changes:

• device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1
  • device_file: D_MotionSensor1.xml
  • device_json: D_MotionSensor1.json
    Click Back, then Save Changes.
    Click Back to go to main Device page.

Go to: Settings / Z-Wave Settings / Advanced /
Click on “Reload Engine”
Go back to Device page

Select the Zooz Motion device, and go back into the configuration pages.
Device Options
Add Configuration Settings
“Add configuration settings” / “Save Changes”
“Back”
(This will simply create a Variables option, which we’ll edit next)

“Advanced”
“Variables” tab
Edit the last box “VariablesSet”
Paste this into box (everything inside the quotes, to replace the existing value):
“1,1d,01,2,1d,30,3,1d,10,4,1d,10,5,1d,3,6,1d,4,7,1d,3”

(See more detailed notes on this below. While these aren’t listed on the device literature as needing to be set, I found that my device didn’t seem to start functioning as a motion sensor until after I put in values, so I think that one or more of these may be required for the device to start functioning as a motion sensor)

Save changes
Go back a page.
If you see red notice “Waiting for wakeup to configure device”, then use paperclip to press Z-Wave button once to wakeup device and allow communication with Vera controller.

You should see the following Vera status messages appear at some point:
Setting special configuration
Setting user configuration (this may last a long time)

Go to Settings / Z-Wave Settings / Advanced
Click on “Reload Engine” again for good measure
Go back to Devices

Leave the ZSE-40 immediately next to your Vera controller for a while to allow further configuration. At some point here, if it?s worked, your Zooz will acquire consciousness and begin detecting motion. Mine took maybe 10 minutes or so, and began to indicate motion sensor activity (as noted by the little “swimmer” icon on the device logo turning red to indicate motion detection, even when it’s disarmed). Or for better confirmation, you could go back into the device settings, select “Notifications”, and set it to notify you if armed and detecting motion.

Optional:
Go back into ZSE-40 settings
Select “Settings” / Wakeup interval: change to a value (in seconds) that the device will update temp, humidity, and light parameters (I picked 1800, for half hour updates). The more often it wakes up, the shorter the battery life will likely be.

EXTRA NOTES DEVICE ON CONFIGURATION SETTINGS

The following info is from the Zooz product literature. Each “Parameter” they describe below is set in the device under Advanced / Variables, in the “VariablesSet” box. In the above example (1,1d,01,2,1d,30,3,1d,10,4,1d,10,5,1d,3,6,1d,4,7,1d,3) the first three numbers are used to set Parameter 1 (i.e. Parameter 1, 1 byte dec, value of 01). The next three numbers, starting with “2” set Parameter 2. And so on.

In my own setup, note that I changed Parameter 2 (temperature change) to a value of 3. My theory is that this will result in fewer device wakeups due to temperature changes, and hopefully a longer battery life).

TEMPERATURE SENSOR
Use Parameter 1 (size 1 byte dec) to switch from Celsius (value 0x00) to Fahrenheit (value 0x01) scale.
Use Parameter 2 (size 1 byte dec) to set temperature change to be reported by the sensor. Values from 1 to 50, where 1 stands for 0.1 degree and 50 stands for 5 degrees. Default set to 1 degree (value 10) ? the sensor will report new temperature value to the controller whenever temperature goes 1 degree up or down.

HUMIDITY SENSOR
Reports relative humidity. Use Parameter 3 (size 1 byte dec) to set humidity percentage change to be reported by the sensor. Values from 1 to 50 where 1 stands for 1% and 50 stands for 50%. Default set to 10%

LIGHT SENSOR
Use Parameter 4 (size 1 byte dec) to choose light percent- age change to be reported by the sensor. Values from 5 to 50 where 5 stands for 5% and 50 stands for 50%. Default set to 10%.

MOTION SENSOR
Use Parameter 5 (size 1 byte dec) to set trigger interval the time when motion is reported again after initial trigger. Values from 1 to 255 where 1 stands for 1 minute and 255 stands for 255 minutes. Default set to 3 minutes.
NOTE: Small interval will increase activity and affect battery life.
Use Parameter 6 (size 1 byte dec) to adjust PIR sensor sensitivity (value from 1 to 7). 1 = very high sensitivity. 7 = very low sensitivity. Default set to 4.

LED NOTIFICATIONS
Led indicator will ash every 3 minutes or whenever you press the Z-Wave button to indicate temperature level.
How to read led indicator colors?
Green = under 60F / Blue = 60-75F / Yellow = 75-83F / Purple = 83-97F / Red = over 97F / motion detected / tamper switch triggered
Use Parameter 7 (size 1 byte dec) to choose between led indicator modes (value from 1 to 3). Mode 1 = led indicator is turned off (no visual notifications). Mode 2 = temperature indicated with pulsing light. Motion indicated with flashing light. Mode 3 = Temperature and motion indicated with flashing
light. Default set to mode 3.
NOTE: Mode 2 will increase activity and affect battery life.[/quote]

Tried this with 4 different Monoprice (same as Zooz) 4-in-1 motion sensor … NOT WORKING.
The temp, lux and humidity work and respond but the motion does not. And the device continues to report as “not detected”.

Meanwhile, the other 3 (identical make/model units) that were paired with Vera 6 months ago work and continue to work perfectly fine.

Also noticed that (in step 4) when I go to change the device_file and device_json, those settings are reset to the Vera files after I press the switch on the sensor with a paperclip, once. Anyway of preventing that from happening?

I’ve spent 3 months trying to get this one new 4-in-1 sensor to work. I’ve even had Monoprice replace the sensor 3 times.
Please help shed some light on this.
Thanks.

Forgot to mention … I am running firmware 1.7.3500 now. Do not remember what firmware was back in November when I paired the other two identical sensors.

Also noticed that (in step 4) when I go to change the device_file and device_json, those settings are reset to the Vera files after I press the switch on the sensor with a paperclip, once. Anyway of preventing that from happening?
No way to avoid this. The vera reconfigures when you push the wake button I think. Why do you have to push it? Because the device is shown as not detected?
Forgot to mention ... I am running firmware 1.7.3500 now. Do not remember what firmware was back in November when I paired the other two identical sensors.

I am suspecting a firmware problem too. I had no problem including a while ago.

[quote=“rafale77, post:53, topic:192570”]

No way to avoid this. The vera reconfigures when you push the wake button I think. Why do you have to push it? Because the device is shown as not detected?[/quote]

The instructions tells you to wake the device with a paperclip push of the button, after everything is configured.

For whatever it’s worth, I managed to readopt one out of 2 sensors after downgrading to 7.0.20. Both had the same problem and I managed to get the one which used to work back up and running. The other one though is still out of luck. I get the impression after trying to pair these devices 2 dozen times each that the vera is too slow to move to get the security token and misses it most of the time. It is shear luck when it just happen to move to expecting the token. My setup has gotten larger and larger over time and I can sense the vera getting much slower. Unloading plugins and automations to other systems has helped but I think more work is to gradually use the vera as just a remote zwave and zigbee bridge.

GOT IT WORKING.

1. contacted Vera Support and enabled remote Customer Service access
  2. they checked a few things; I woke the device with paperclip, replaced batteries, etc. … no luck
  3. a few days went by
  4. support requested then asked me to un-pair the device and re-pair it …
  • so I un-paired the sensor
  • waited about 2 minutes
  • re-pair the sensor BUT this time, instead of selecting Vision ZP3111-5, I selected “Generic Z-Wave device” (this might be the key to fixing it)
  • it paired to the controller (and I left it at default settings, no added attributes or sensitivity changes)
  • waited about 2 minutes and the 4 sensors all showed up … motion was still not detecting
  • enabled notifications for motion just for the kicks of it
  • waited another few minutes (maybe 15 minutes) … and suddenly I got a motion notification from it

Do not have a clue what is different … other than selecting “Generic Z-Wave device”.

After an hour of it not showing any errors and staying connected, I went ahead and added back the seven attributes to the sensor:
1 - monitor only
2 - monitor only
3 - monitor only
4 - 1 byte HEX - value 5
5 - 1 byte HEX - value 1
6 - 1 byte HEX - value 4
7 - monitor only
(I did all 7 just to cover my base, in case I want to change something in the future)

I also changed the WakeUp Interval to 7200 seconds
with a Poll Interval of 1080 seconds (since I was told this number has to be less than WakeUp for changes to be sent to the sensor during its wakeup window),
all in hopes to save some battery life.

Poked the pinhole with a paperclip to wake the sensor up to get the new changes.
All went well.
NOTE: sensor was about 3 feet from the controller the entire time.

So far so good … 2 hours later still working.
And my fingers are crossed that this Monoprice 4-in-1 sensor will continue to work like the previous ones I’ve installed.

@jchin

I think it is like me: pure luck. It has nothing to do with including as a generic device, at least not for me since it is what I have been doing from day 1. The timing and sequencing of what the vera does vary a lot and is one of the source of many issues on the vera platform.

Got mine in the mail today. I was hoping it was going to be an easy setup, just like the one I’ve had operating for a year.

But this one is Version 2, just one battery, not two triple As.

I’ve run into the same roadblock as everyone else, installed under a generic z wave device, got three sensors (temp, lux and humidity) and one on/off device. I tried all the solutions presented here and have had no luck. Either I can change the device to a motion sensor and lose the other three and have a non-functioning motion sensor to boot, or just forget about the motion sensor.

Anyone have any other suggestions??? I’ve contacted Zoos at their ask@getzooz.com. I’ll give them a day to respond, but as of now, I think it’s going back. It shouldn’t be this hard!

Didn?t know there was a v2. One AAA batterie? I wonder how long it will last.

What firmware are you running? You may want to test with the beta 7.0.26b as it has a new zwave firmware. From what I am observing, I suspect it could help as it is related to the pairing process going out of sync due to vera being too slow.

The battery is a CR123 now.

My firmware is version 1.7.3532

This morning, I had to wake the unit up manually to get the temp/humid/lux values. They look exactly the same as what I was getting last night. Makes me wonder if this unit is defective or just not ready for prime time.

Seems odd that I have to manually wake the unit up with the paper clip in order to turn the unit “on” via my desktop.

BTW, still no motion detector on the unit.