Failed to save system configuration

Looks like people are not reading the entire thread.

1. The latest vera firmware appears to have fixed the Lua code inside the scene logic. Both the beta and the release of 7.0.19 have a feature preventing you from saving special characters from the Lua editor in the scenes. If you have Lua code in your scene and want to save it, you want to go into the LUA editor. Type something random and delete it, then hit save. It will save the code and then save the scene. If you do not type something and delete it, the “save” button on the editor will not work. If you do not enter the lua editor and try to save the scene with the existing code, it will corrupt your code.
    This is what Shallowearth solution is for.

2. This is not true for the Trigger portion of the lua code. Any lua code in the trigger lua editor will prevent the scene from being saved. The Vera will throw the message in the title of this thread. This remains a bug. Support told me they are aware and will fix it in the next release.

@rafale77 @RichardTSchaefer
Read through the post I’m on UI7 and VeraPlus, I tried adding the notification in the scene but get that error message. I try to delete a scene and I can’t I get the Failed to Save error again. Not sure what I’m missing. I tried deleting the LUA altogether and same error. What am I doing wrong? v 1.7.2414

@nutshellml, do you have any lua code in the scene trigger of the scene you are trying to modify? My only solution has been to downgrade to 7.0.13 (not easy), do my edits, and upgrade back

I have two scenes that are manually triggered with LUA codes. All the other scenes do not. I can’t even delete a scene that does not have a LUA code in it.

What a mess, I’m having issues editing some devices too. ie. Vera Alerts adding a new profile and setting it up trying to save I get the message…

I have no idea what happened. I can’t edit/add anything.

This sounds bad. Have you tried downgrading back?

Hi, running the latest firmware 1.7.2414 on VeraPlus and can confirm that this has not been fixed yet (at least not in my case). I use the previously mentioned workaround by using AltUI (which I think is easier than downgrading). Have been doing some testing just out of curiosity to find that if I want to add or remove a device to a scene I still get this same error. I can actually maintain LUA in scene and save it, that will not return the error. So looks like we have to wait for a final fix.

I have used Vera3 UI5 for several years and have been quite happy with it. Everything is working…

I decided to move to Vera+ with firmware 1.7.2414. I purchased it last spring but didn?t take it in use because of problems described here in the forum. Now I decided that I have to try it.

It is working but I can?t add my automation scenes to it.

I should have read these messages before I created my second scene where I added LUA code to trigger section. It can?t be saved, Vera will think for a couple of minutes, then say: Failed to save system configuration. The scene does not save and it is not visible in the scene list.

If I try creating the scene again without LUA code in trigger section and save it, it says: Scene name must be unique. As if the scene was in fact created but it is not visible in the scene list. I changed the name and saved it. Again same information: Failed to save system configuration but now I got new visible scene. So is that information coming from the invisible scene or form new just created scene. Where is the first created invisible scene and how can I deleted it?

I don?t want to make new scenes to test them if I can?t delete them if they have errors…

So now I am without automation and have to wait next firmware to fix these problems…

Just an FYI, I eventually got a Vera Tech to look at my controller via the remote access function. It appears that whatever he did fixed the problem. I did not get an explanation on what he did, but I can now deactivate a scene that has Lua code in it without “commenting” the lua code within.

So, help is on the way I would assume in the next revision of the firmware?

I was too hasty on my previous post. I managed to get all my scenes working when I found how to do it (bypass that save error on lua codes on triggers section) and put my code to Finish the Scene, Also, execute the following Luup code. It seems that almost everything is working again with my ?new? Vera+ (still had to do more testing… and some scenes to do). So I am quite happy now.

But can someone explain what is the difference, if I put lua code to:

1. Triggers section, Luup Event or
  2. I put the same code to Finish the Scene, Also, execute the following Luup code.

Are they executed in different order and is it affecting how Step 2 (Device Actions) are executed?

The lua code in the trigger is run only if that given trigger is being used. For scene with multiple triggers, you can customize the behavior of the scene using the trigger lua. One example for me is a TTS scene where it announces different door names when different doors are being opened using the same scene.
The scene lua is executed no matter what the trigger is.

Thanks rafale77 to explain that to me.

Now I have 3 different scenes to inform me which door is opened. When new firmware will fix that save problem I am going to change those scenes. It would be much cleaner to have only one scene for all doors (and it also consumes less valuable memory).

This is a serious bug! Do we have any sort of estimate on even a beta version to fix this issue?

I Began getting “Failed to save system configuration” error when trying to modify a scene.

Scene name was “Front porch & garage light off”
Got rid of the “&” and changed scene name to: “Front porch, garage light off”
It Worked OK then.

I am guessing the problem may be related to how HTML special characters are encoded. I have had similar problems using special characters before. It may be safer to use only letters and numbers for device and scene names.

this has noting to do with it. my scene is called slapie and any change i make, even to other scenes, will give this error.

fabstar81,

Check your other scenes that have LUUA code in them. I’ve noticed that occasionally, for some unknown reason, code gets corrupted. Even if you didn’t touch the other scenes. That might be your issue.

This issue appears to be fixed, for me at least, with the beta version just released. I’m running veraedge.

[quote=“XA44Owq26HxCq88, post:55, topic:192737”]fabstar81,

Check your other scenes that have LUUA code in them. I’ve noticed that occasionally, for some unknown reason, code gets corrupted. Even if you didn’t touch the other scenes. That might be your issue.[/quote]

I had a bunch of LUA code get corrupted and was having this issue. I restored from backup and things seem fine now.

This bug hit my system also. Vera plus and latest firmware. I can not disable A scene. I did an system restore to get Vera up and runnig. I start now holding my breath and wait for A fix.

Mine is corrupted again

Make sure you call customer support and/or facebook … since feedback on the forums is not an official channel.